Thursday, January 26, 2012

Embellishing with fabric "roses"


I had this plain photo album that I really wanted to embellish for a friend and was contemplating what to do with it. Hmmmm....  Then it hit me! 

With Valentine's Day right around the corner, I am already thinking about all the cutesy red, pink, and pastel decorations I want to make for my house, so I guess I also had roses on my brain!  Here I will show you how to make simple fabric roses and use them to embellish whatever you choose!

I happened to have a large scrap of silky red fabric.  If you don't have extra fabric...or ANY fabric, you can use plain silky ribbon instead.  I cut a bunch of strips of varying widths/lengths on the diagonal so it won't fray.  The number of pieces you'll need just depends on the size of your project, but I like to overestimate.  That way I don't catch myself  "rationing" out the fabric.  It is better to have too much to work with than too little!


So, to make a rose:  Glue one end of your fabric strip to your album or whatever you're embellishing.  I used a glue gun for this part.  Seems like the only way to go, really. Unless you enjoy touching scorching hot glue, you'll probably want to use a popsicle stick or a wooden skewer to press the fabric onto the glue.  Twirl your fabric strip and wrap it around the middle of the flower just a bit and glue it again.  Keep repeating this until you've glued your entire strip down.


It should look something like this when you're finished.  If you've never done this before, maybe you want to practice with some scraps on a piece of cardboard first.  Then when you feel comfortable move on to your real project!


You can arrange the roses however you choose. I personally wanted to make a huge heart.  So several hours later, (due to some interruptions from a 7 month old who doesn't care about crafting with momma!) this is what I completed!  I love how it came out!

If I can find the time before Valentine's Day, I would love to try to make a wreath using this technique!  I would love to see what all of you out there create -- feel free to post your creations on our facebook page or comment on the blog and let us know how YOU used this technique!


Happy Crafting and happy V-Day to you and your sweeties!
~D.


No comments:

Post a Comment