Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bath "magnets!"

Sometimes it takes [more than] a little coaxing to get a 2-year-old into a bathtub. Other days, just the mention of a bubble bath sends my little guy racing up the stairs to the bathroom! :) Today was not one of those days...

In an attempt to at least coax him towards the bathtub, we started in my office, which is right next door to the bathroom. He LOVES my office because it's filled with an array of anything and everything in any color imaginable! I had picked up a big pack of craft foam at Michael's yesterday because I saw it on clearance and was excited to make Braden some bath "magnets!" (Craft foam sticks nicely to a bathtub or tiled wall when wet!)

For this project you'll need:
Craft foam in an assortment of colors
Scissors (and/or kid scissors)
and your imagination! :)



I cut out some seaweed, waves, and fishies, so Braden could make an ocean scene in the tub. Another sheet was made into a jigsaw puzzle that I drew Mike from Monsters, Inc. onto, which I thought was going to be the big hit. But the shapes he REALLY liked were the simple smiley face I cut out and the "clothes" I made for it. :) As it turned out, a lot of the shapes were interchangeable between the lady and the guy. The mustache doubled as hair, scarf for the lady's neck, sunglasses, a belt, pointy shoes.... The hat could be a handkerchief, a fanny pack, a big purse... The blue pants could also be the lady's leggings, her necklace could be a belt buckle for the guy...You get the idea. We were laughing so hard when we would discover a new way to use one of the pieces!!! He had so much fun!


 Next time he doesn't want a bath I am hoping I can remind him of the fun magnets we have waiting upstairs.  This kept him occupied in the tub for a solid 40 minutes, which was a great "break" for me!



Other thoughts I had for these "magnets" were a Mr./Mrs. Potato Head theme, alphabet letters, fruits and veggies with a basket or shopping cart...  Let the fun begin! :)

*This project can be made for under $1.00, which I think is WELL worth it if it makes Mommy's life even a little bit easier! :)

Happy Crafting!
- Diana

(I was worried about these getting mildewy if they were left all stuck together in the bathtub toy basket, so I spread them out on a big towel to dry out before storing them. Maybe that's ridiculous, but just a warning/suggestion in case the thought crossed any of your minds!)

No comments:

Post a Comment