Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The fabric-covered junk box!

If you are short on cabinet/drawer space, then you, like me, might need a junk box.  ;)  It doesn't have to be something fancy.  Take an old box (like the ones baby wipes come in, for example) and look through your fabric scraps - or ask a seamstress near you to donate some!  My fabric is courtesy of a good friend - I don't sew!!  :)  If you want to be precise, then by all means, measure and cut the fabric to fold over the outside of the box - kind of the same way you wrap a present.  See how non-precise the seams are on the outside?  It doesn't really matter, though...

If you are short on time, for example, like me, then it doesn't matter if the edges of the fabric are still somewhat ragged or not cut in a straight line!  Just gather the fabric around the box, fold over the edges of the box, and hit it with a stapler - inside the box to hide the staples.  Voila!  Put this baby on a shelf and when company comes -- or if you're just sick of looking at the mish-mosh of items strewn about -- toss that stuff inside!  I couldn't believe it, but I actually had someone ask me where I got the box sitting on the shelf next to our kitchen, or did I make it?  :)  Of course, your junk box probably should not have stuff sticking out of it or showing like mine - ha!  It isn't overfilled or anything... !!!  

I even made one of these last winter for kids to toss their gloves, hats, scarves and winter accessories into, since getting them to hang those things up is nearly impossible!
 
~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment