Saturday, September 29, 2012

Spook-tacular wreath!


It's Halloween time!

Where did the summer go? It seems to have evaporated here in the McDermott household, but that's ok! I love the crisp Fall air, the changing leaves, and I love, love, love Halloween in our neighborhood.  I was looking forward to Halloween here since we decided to build our house in this community and I definitely have not been disappointed!  Everybody decorates for Halloween here with the same intensity as Christmas - and I am talking full-fledged, Chevy Chase, "Christmas Vacation" decorating! 

I am more into the fun, cute, whimsical Halloween stuff, not the scary stuff and spiders are about as creepy as I get (Yes, I am terrified of spiders, but I try to embrace my fears around this time of year and use them to decorate)!  I have been dying to dress Braden in this costume for Halloween since he was born and this year, I bought it! He is going to be the cutest spider on the block and served as my source of inspiration for this project. (I am big into themes, if any of you haven't noticed!)
So I buy this "squeeze food" for Braden and I have been saving (hoarding?) the caps since he started eating these.  Is anyone really surprised??? Sure, I could have just thrown them in the recycling bin, but isn't it more fun to come up with a project for them!? I will take this opportunity to answer for my husband, who is most likely holding his tongue ;) ...YES!  I kept mulling over in my head what I could possibly create from these colorful lids - car "wheels"?, "catterpillars?",   a colorful wreath? Then it hit me! Not just a wreath, but a HALLOWEEN wreath! Yes! 

Off to Michael's my little helper and I drove!


At first, I thought I would just use a styrofoam wreath and glue the caps all over it with some ribbon, then I found this!  A lightweight wood wreath form, which seemed like a better option for this project.  Next, Braden helped me pick out some pretty  ribbon, glittery wooden "BOO" letters, and some black pipe cleaners and we were all set!




I used the pipe cleaners to make the spider legs. I cut two of them in half, folded them over, threaded them through the bottom of the cap, then formed them into creepy spider legs.

1.

bottom of spider
2. 
top of spider
 3.
top of spider after the legs are formed




Kind of lay out your design a bit, so you have an idea where you are going to glue everything once you start. This will save you time once you start gluing!




When you've got all your pieces together and you're ready to start, plug in your glue gun to let it heat up, while you are cutting strips of ribbon (remember to cut the ribbon on a diagonal, to prevent fraying!).  


Then, just start gluing! Fold the strips of ribbon in half, and glue each one onto your wreath form. Next, glue your embellishments in place.  

(Just a tip: You might want to use a popsicle stick to press the items into place.  Somehow I always burn my fingers with the hot glue and this time was no exception! I even have a blister to prove it! :( ) 

I started my wreath by gluing the letters, to ensure there was enough space to spell my word.  Once you start gluing, it goes really fast.  I made mine in about an hour from start to finish.  

So, tah-dah!!! Here it is! I cannot wait to hang it on the front door!


Spook-tacular!!!

a little close-up of the detail

pre-glittered letters made this a breeze!

This tutorial can be applied to really any wreath for any occasion or season!  Show us what you made! :)

Happy Crafting!
~D.

No comments:

Post a Comment