Saturday, September 8, 2012

...jazz up an ordinary bag...

Reusable bags are popular right now, so chances are, you have a few stashed in your car or in a cabinet.  For this project, any type of plain fabric or canvas bag will do.  I had this dollar-store canvas tote hanging around collecting dust :), and I recently saw something cute online about having a bag specifically for toting your (or your kids') books to and from the library.  {That is my disclaimer that this post was inspired by something I read... the design itself was my idea, though.}  

Getting started... what you will need:
* plain fabric or canvas bag or tote
* fabric markers (optional)
* embellishments
* glue gun (of course!! ...this non-sewing girl lives by the glue gun method!)

Forgive the quality of the photos -- they were taken using my iPhone instead of my camera this time!


Next, I found a quote online about books/reading and used fabric markers to write on the bag.  I don't own a Silhouette machine or anything like that, so I had to rely on my own freehand for this part!  The reason I chose this one was because the bag just happened to have a pocket!  Tip: You could carry your library card in the pocket.


Now time to add embellishments -- fabric/paper flowers and buttons in this case.  This is where the glue gun comes in!  (Note: this kind of renders the bag un-machine washable!!)


And that's it!!  This was a quick and easy project using supplies and an old plain bag that I already had, so the cost was zero.  :)  


Now we can keep track of what comes and goes from the library, and carry them to and from the library in style!  :) 
~S.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment