Friday, August 10, 2012

Pretty "Rosette" Wastebasket

I saw this beautiful garden stool from Wisteria and totally fell in love with it. I am dying to add this piece to my living room and this beauty served as my source of inspiration for this easy project!
Project level: Easy

Time required: 1-2 hours, plus drying time

Materials: Recycled cardboard canisters
 (formula, coffee, or iced tea cans work great!)
Duct tape
White acrylic paint
Paint brush
Newspaper 
(or strips of fabric as found in this post)
Scissors
Hot glue gun
Glue sticks
Spray paint

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

                             
When I was planning Braden's first birthday party, I started saving some baby formula cans, knowing they might come in handy for a craft project!  (And of course they did!)  A few of you may remember seeing this "Seuss hat" lollipop stand at the party or in the party photos, which I constructed from three stacked cans that I duct taped, painted, and decorated as the cat's hat! 

After the party, I still thought the cans could come in handy, so I removed the lollipops and red crepe paper stripes and decided to recycle it into a wastebasket for my office!  

So...I bring you the embellished wastebasket!
* * *
To make the "rosettes" I cut approximately 1 inch strips of newspaper and formed them into the flowers.  




Using a hot glue gun, I attached the rosettes in a random pattern all over the cans. Just play around with it and try to fill in as much white space as possible.

 
 Once you've entirely covered the can, it may be spray painted in the color of your choice!  For this project I decided to paint it a glossy ivory first, then used a quick spray of silver to give it a pearlescent sheen.  I love how it turned out and am excited for the new and improved wastebasket in my office! :) 



Close up detail of painted flowers
 (another quick coat of paint would have provided even better coverage, but I was on borrowed time from Braden during his nap!)

* * *

Share what you've created with us on our facebook page! We would love to see it!

Happy Crafting!!! :)

~D.





No comments:

Post a Comment