Monday, November 21, 2011

Fabulous Pinecone Ornaments

As the holidays are approaching very quickly, a lot of you are probably starting to decorate your homes if you haven't completed doing it already... Before you get too frazzled by the in-laws making a surprise visit, and before you walk out of Walmart on Black Friday with a bloody nose and possibly broken forearm, why don't you take some time out to have FUN during this time of year...

(I realize making crafts isn't everyone's idea of a fun and relaxing time, but if you're reading this blog, then you must have some craftiness in you, right?)  :)

Today, I decided to throw together an ornament or two for our Christmas tree using my never-ending supply of pinecones that I picked off the ground.  Maybe you don't have any pine trees around you, but I bet you have a craft store around where they sell them (sometimes for more than a justifiable amount), or at least you might know where you could find a tree in your community.  As for me, I'm literally surrounded by them!  My address even has the word "Pine" in it.  Regardless, these little decorations are perfect for this time of year, so let's get to work!

Paint brush and acrylic paint, spray adhesive, clear acrylic sealer, hot glue gun, glue sticks, ribbon, glitter, pinecone, old newspaper.. If you use a Michael's ad like me, make sure you cut out the weekly 40% off coupon.  haha!

You can use as many or all of the supplies I have pictured above depending on what you want to do with your ornament.  For this blog, I'll show you the glittery one I made.  Heck, if you don't even want to dress it up, just glue a ribbon on top to hang and be done with it!  It's all up to you!!  :)

If you find your pinecones outside, you need to bake them to get rid of any and all bugs that could be living inside.  It will also open them up if they are closed and give them a nice appearance.  Just place them on a foil-lined baking sheet and pop 'em in for about an hour with your oven set at 120 degrees F.


Once your pinecones are cool, you can start your project.  For my adhesive, I personally used an adhesive spray, but you can use regular glue and brush it on, too.  I would recommend the latter method if you plan on making these with children.  The adhesive spray should be used in a well ventilated area, as well.  It will get VERY tacky, so definitely make sure you have enough area covered in your working space so you don't ruin a nice table!  :)

Spray or paint an even coating of the adhesive of your choice onto your pinecone.  If you choose to use different colors of glitter like I ended up doing for mine, spray only the area that you will be glittering first.  

Be sure to have a different piece of paper around to use AFTER you spray the adhesive.  Be sure it does not have glue on it first before using it underneath your pinecone when you sprinkle the glitter.  You want it to be clean, so once the pinecone is coated you can pour the remaining glitter back into the container.  Obviously, if the paper has any adhesive sprayed on it, you can't get that glitter back, so that's why it should be kept out of the way ahead of time.  A little glitter goes quite a long way!



Repeat the spraying and glittering process until the entire pinecone is coated just the way you like it!


When you're finished, let it dry completely before spraying a sealant on top to keep the glitter from, well, glittering your entire house!  If you don't do this step, be prepared for the glitter to come off on your hands over time.


Finally, once everything is dry, heat up your trusty glue gun and prepare to make the finishing touches... and what would the grand finale be without a bow on top?  I used 2 different colors of ribbon, white iridescent for the bow and bright blue for the loop to hang.

When cutting ribbon, be sure to cut on an angle to keep from fraying.  Cut a strip and make a loop... then glue it to the flat surface of the pinecone.  Then, make a bow and glue that over the top.  Voila!  All finished!


Of course, I encourage you to have fun with this project, making it to suit your own taste!  There's just so much you can do with these pinecones.  If you have as many as I do, play around and see what you can come up with.  Maybe you want to use white paint on the tips to give the appearance of snow, or maybe you want to make a wreath to hang on your door... Get creative.  Don't get discouraged if you don't make them all perfectly.  No one ever said you had to show off everything you make, right?  I have two pinecones sitting in the trash with red paint all over them in the messiest way possible...  I couldn't even come back from my mistakes.  But who will ever see?  ;)
 Perhaps I'll have to post some more ideas I have another time, but in the meantime get crafting, and have fun with this!  While you're at it, I bet you have a friend, a child's teacher, or a craftastic sister who might appreciate their very own ornament that was made especially for them, especially by YOU!

Have a very blessed, wonderful, and happy Thanksgiving!!

(As a side note, I'm especially thankful for my two wonderful older sisters and our very special glittery sealant-coated bond!)

-MB






No comments:

Post a Comment