Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fun With Leaf Prints!

One of my favorite things about fall happens to be the changes in nature that so clearly take place before our own eyes.  The air turns cooler, the leaves change color, and when we have a particularly sunny day, it seems much more spectacular than the bright sunshiny days we are so spoiled with in the summertime.  But aside from the joys of pumpkin flavored everything and our acceptance to eat one too many Reese's Cups on Halloween, my favorite thing of all is how I suddenly notice the beautiful shapes of each individual leaf that embellishes our trees.  I know, I know... You're thinking, "Really?  You like THAT more than Reese's and a pumpkin latte?!?!"  Seriously, though.  When the leaves are decorating our trees during the spring and summer while they are all a shade of green, it's hard to see much of a difference between them all.  But after the leaves fall to the ground, I suddenly realize just how diverse they are in shape and color.  I love it!

I was out walking with my daughter the other day, when I looked down at the ground and thought to myself, "I can use these in my crafts!"  For the next ten minutes, I was frantically searching for the perfect leaf with no rips or tears and was already flat enough to be used as is.  (Good thing Nadia's only 8 months old because if she was any older, she would've been embarrassed to be seen with her crazy leaf hunting mama!)

Now that I've shared my love for nature, I'd like to share my love for using everyday things for fun.  :)  Ever make a leaf print?  PAST the age of 10??  Let's do it!


Really, all you need is an ink pad, a flat leaf, and something to dab the ink on the paper with... I just used a paper towel for that!  Easy.  If you don't have any ink pads lying around, you can always pick one up at your local craft store for fairly cheap.  I love to tell people to always head straight to the dollar bins first!!  I think I've gotten every one of my ink pad's there.  :)  All you have to do is simply saturate the paper towel (or whatever you choose to use) in the ink, then pat overtop of the leaf until you get the desired effect you're looking for.  If you want the texture of the paper towel on the paper, keep it simple and dab in solid up and down motions.  If you want it to look "streaky" then rub as if you're using a brush from the inside of the leaf to the outside of the paper.  You decide!

This can get messy, so if you work with your hands in public and don't want them to look... ahem... dirty, consider wearing rubber gloves.  I can wash and wash and wash, and sometimes still have ink left on my fingers for a day (depending on the color you use!).

I made my own "fall" scrapbook paper using this technique.


Then, I simply embellished the page with ribbon, colored staples (another one of my favorite things), the photos I wanted to use, a title, and a description.  Easy stuff!



If you plan on sending out Thanksgiving cards this year, AND you want to make your own, this could come in handy.  Consider using a photo you took during the fall (maybe a pumpkin you carved or a picture of your kids in their Halloween costumes) and place it on the card with some leaf prints in the background. Personalize the cards by writing a little message on the inside about why you're thankful for whoever gets it.  It just might bring a smile or tear to that person's face!  :)

What ideas do you have?



-MB

No comments:

Post a Comment